.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Here, I'm always right ...

Here, I'm always right. Here, I am The Queen of the Land. Here, my opinion reigns supreme!

My Photo
Name:
Location: The World

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Doesn't Take Much To Piss Me Off...


I want to thank all that have visited my Blog and commented. I enjoy reading the comments. I did, however, warn you all that my opinion reigns supreme here. With that in mind and without impunity...

RedRover posted the following comment in response to my Pope post:

With over 1 billion of us being brought up in the Catholic faith and women generally held as second-class citizens -- it's a big world out there! -- I have to disagree with your statement about others not being allowed a retort (?) to the new Pope's words and actions.

It's the oppression of women by Catholic doctrine that concerns me most.

So, here I respond:

Technically, RedRover, Dogma-wise, the majority of all world religions see women as second-class citizens. Reality wise, Catholic women and men use birth control, some Catholic women have abortions, there are even some Catholics who commit adultery, steal, kill... You name it! Boy the Catholic Church is sure keeping us oppressed and walking that straight line all the time. This is why there is confession... Well, if you choose to go *BLUSH* ... The Catholic Church knows that we are all human. That we are not perfect. They gladly offer forgiveness... With mercy and understanding, not fire, brimstone, and shame. If it isn't this way for any Catholic reading this post, then they have one crappy priest. Get a new one. Remember, it is up to the individual how they want to practice their faith, how they want their experience to be. If God wanted puppets, free will wouldn't exist.

Some radical Catholic women in other countries have created their own off shoot and become priests ala Sinead O'Connor. Their sect isn't recognized by the Church, but they don't care. You can bring a woman to Mass, but you can't make her drink all the Dogma.

The Church has progressed, with little baby steps mind you, but it has. Much of it due to the Second Vatican Council. Women are welcomed on the altar to read, give out the Eucharist, and be altar servers. In regards to women being priests, it is my fondest wish that it happen, but I am not naive. It isn't going to happen overnight, if in my life time. If there is a woman out there who is truly moved by the spirit to be a priest, she can convert to be an Episcopalian (the closest thing to Catholicism) and they would welcome her in her ministry. It is a choice. People know what they are getting themselves into when they continue to be Catholic in their adulthood.

I do stand by my statement, that if you aren't Catholic, you have no business commenting. Those not Catholic do not see the Pope as a leader. He should have no affect on their life. If they feel that they are effected by what the Pope is saying, find a good RCIA program and we will welcome you into the Church at Easter! As I stated, if you are Catholic, you have carte blanche to bitch and moan to your hearts content, but if you don't like being a Catholic, then don't be one. No one is forcing you to.

If you are blaming Catholicism for the problems that women are having in the third World, I challenge anyone to deny that it is a social problem. The Patriarchical society they live in is the problem, not the Church. I am not saying that the Church isn't a factor where the birth control issue is concerned, but getting out from under the yoke of oppressive Fathers and Husbands is what the women need. Don't blame it all on Catholicism. Maybe all those lovely liberal millionaires and billionaires could give money to medical centers in these countries and supply them birth control instead of whining that Federal Tax dollars are not going to these programs. I am sick of them not putting their money where their mouths regurgitate.

Catholicism oppressing women? Give me a break... You want oppression? Look no further than the Asia, Africa, and the Middle East... Does the Catholic Church segregate men and women during their worship and make women hide themselves in wigs, veils, or burquas? Do Catholics support honor killings? Do Catholic Fathers and Husbands murder their daughters and wives at the hint on impropriety? Do villages rape other villages for ethnic cleansing?

I pray everyday that the World would be at peace and that we would all live as Christ wants us to. People get too hung up on the Dogma instead of listening and living Christ's message that we hear from men and women every week from the alter.

Also, Red Rover, as I stated in the previous Post, I am a Catholic to encompass myself in the Body and Blood of Christ and to try to be more like him. Christ is my focus, not the Dogma. Check out your New Testament. At all the momentous events in JC's life, who was there? Women. At his conception, Mary said yes to God. It was her choice. Even back then, women had a choice to carry on a pregnancy. At his arrest and crucifixion, the men ran away, the women stood by him. At his Resurrection, the first people he saw were women. This means something. This is what I focus on and so should all women.

If you want to deal with oppression of women, I say let's get some superior fire power and let go free those women. Secularism does have it's uses :)

BTW, nobody said that we couldn't pray for the Church to be guided toward priestly marriage and women being priests. Stop your whining and start your praying.

Stay cool and safe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home