.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Here, I'm always right ...

Here, I'm always right. Here, I am The Queen of the Land. Here, my opinion reigns supreme!

My Photo
Name:
Location: The World

Saturday, April 16, 2005

¡Feliz Cumpleaños a Mí!


"...the heart,
this child of myself that resides in the flesh,
this ultimate signature of the me..."
-- Anne Sexton

"All children born with congenital cardiac defects have lost a most valuable friend, who during his entire professional life worked indefatigably on their behalf."
-- Aldo Castaneda, M.D., on the death of Alexander Nadas, M.D., the Father of Pediatric Cardiology

"He will be remembered for pushing the frontiers...down to the newborn period... When I first started in the late 1940s, we operated on children age 10 or 12 with relatively simple defects. Now it's two days or 12 hours with the most complicated defects."
-- Alexander Nadas, M.D., on Aldo Castaneda, M.D., World renowned trailblazer in
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery


I want you to meet my two very favorite immigrants.

Alexander Nadas, M.D. was born in Budapest, Hungary on Nov. 12, 1913 and emigrated to the U.S. in 1938, after studying in London, and trained in New York, Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit. His association with Harvard Medical School and Children's Hospital in Boston began in 1942, when he was an assistant resident. During the 1950s, Nadas spent much time exploring the use of electrocardiography and set up the first pediatric cardiology department and cardiac catheterization laboratory at Children's. He published Pediatric Cardiology, the first textbook on the subject, in 1957. He served as cardiologist in chief at Children's Hospital for 33 years until his retirement in 1982. Under his leadership, the Department of Cardiology at the hospital became an international center of excellence for the care of children with heart disease.

Aldo R. Castañeda, M.D. was born in Genoa, Italy, on July 17, 1930, of Guatemalan parents. His family, after moving to Germany, was not allowed to leave during WWII. After the war, he traveled to Guatemala and eventually arrived in the U.S. in 1958, where his fellowship in surgery at the University of Minnesota was the beginning of a 14-year association with this university. During that time, he earned his PhD in experimental surgery in 1963, and in the same year finished his surgical training and was appointed instructor at the University of Minnesota. His stellar achievements as a surgeon, teacher, and researcher led to rapid progression in academic rank, as he advanced in a short 7 years from instructor to professor of surgery by 1970. In 1972, he left Minnesota, having been appointed Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School and Cardiovascular Surgeon-in-Chief at the Children's Hospital. In 1981 assumed the position of Surgeon-in-Chief of Children's. He served in the positions until his retirement from Harvard Medical School and Children's Hospital in 1995.

So, you are probably wondering why I dig these cats so much? They are why I am still breathing. They are the reason I am able to celebrate my birthday today. As you may remember, a few posts ago, I was discussing how I was pissed that my Birthday was coming up. The fear of lost opportunities swamped me and I just was having my own little pity party wishing for the grand ending to take place.

After much reflection, I decided to look at my birthday from a different angle. I was born with a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot and, if it wasn't for Aldo and Alexander, I wouldn't be here to bitch and moan about getting so damn old. I said to myself "Your Highness, you need to rediscover what your disease is all about and maybe you will be snap yourself out of your sulk." According to the lovely morbidity rate chart that is shown at the link provided above, there is a 95% morbidity rate for those who reach the age of 40 with their condition untreated. It hit, me... the reality of my mortality... ooh... sounds like a song... I gotta remember that... anyhoo... it reminded me how blessed I am. I really believe I was blessed with the talent of Aldo and Alexander and it must mean I am here for a reason. It would be great if at some point I was shown what it was... *SIGH* It's all very tiring being patient with God.

So this up coming year, I am trying to be grateful for everyday I wake to another day. Not that I won't still tease the Dowager Queen with emotional guilt... "That's alright Mom... the blue baby will be fine *SNIFF*" ... "No, I thought it was chest pain, but it might be indigestion... Although, I do feel a bit dizzy." Hee, hee. :^Þ I do love to jerk her royal chain :^D

So, my children, go ahead and send the birthday gifts. I will receive them graciously. Just a warning, age questioners and commentators will be bitch slapped and will immediately be strapped to the rack in my basement. Remember, I have been working out, so I have a mean crank arm!

Stay cool and safe! I sure do look good for 32!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday...I'm always too caught up in my life to keep up with such glorious celebrations :(

1:07 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home